Saturday, December 20, 2008

Clinical Results for Pregnant Mothers

Successful treatment for women who smoke have significant effect on pregnancy outcomes. A review of clinical results for pregnant mothers who quit smoking indicated a 20% reduction in the number babies born low birth weight, a 17% reduction in preterm births and an average increase in infant weight of 28 grams.

Further research suggests that even when a pregnant mother stops smoking well into the pregnancy the results have proven beneficial to the fetus and the birth outcomes. Mothers who quit smoking as late as the 30th week were found to still experience positive outcomes related to the effect on infant birth weight.

2 comments:

VisionaryMentors said...

Although I am a smoker, I quit well with child with my five children. When the taste of the smoke bothered me, I knew then I was with child. My question, does the chemical in the cigarette remain in the body [blood stream] when one cease smoking. If so, for how long? Because once I gave birth, the desire to smoke returned a month later each time.

Anonymous said...

This person is a NUT. Can the chemical in cigarette remain the (blood steam)when you stop How long for the rest of your life fruit cake once you start this crazy self destructive habit you put in motion the writing on the wall I only care about my cigarette addiction not my health or my children or any body eles. Let see I suppose to live 110 years but that good enough for let me cut about 45 years off of that and then have air force up my nose to breath the rest of my life because why get air for free and clean air at that.I hate smoking!!!!